You’ve heard the saying, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”. The pessimist is likely to focus on life giving them lemons. The optimist will make lemonade, and hope more lemons come their way to make a bigger batch. The realist’s focus is dealing with the lemons handed them, and then follow through with making lemonade. Whether you’re a pessimist, optimist, realist or define yourself by a different noun, one thing remains the same, we’re all given lemons. You can’t turn on the news without being bombarded with negativity. The same could be said for social media outlets you use, as well as conversations we have with family and friends or even co-workers. So, what can we do to be positive in a world where negativity abounds?
Outward change starts within!
- Think before you speak Sometimes it’s best to listen and keep your mouth closed; you don’t have to speak to be heard.
- Control your behavior/actions You choose how you react in every situation. I have to learn how to control myself daily, and in turn it’s made life less complicated and more enjoyable.
- Surround yourself with uplifting individuals I know several people, myself included, who have completely adjusted their circle of friends because relationships that have lasted decades became toxic.
- Take time for yourself Family events, children’s activities, work functions, church- life is busy, BUT you must take time for yourself. Taking time for yourself is healthy and can help maintain balance; don’t forget your importance and worth.
- Give back Reach out to non-profits near you, start a neighborhood/park/roadway clean up project, volunteer at an animal shelter, hand out stickers to children at the hospital, play games at your local nursing home, feed the homeless, or read books to the blind. The options are endless.