Medical malpractice in the U.S. is a grave concern—an estimated 98,000 Americans die each year due to hospital errors. Medication errors are the most common mistakes made by healthcare professionals, harming nearly 1.5 million people every year (according to a 2006 follow-up to the 1999 Institute of Medicine study).
Has a doctor, nurse, surgeon, pharmacist, or other medical provider injured you due to a careless mistake? Smolen Law has dedicated medical malpractice lawyers who will provide superior legal representation.
Common Medical Malpractice Resulting in Injury and Death
Surgeons, anesthesiologists, internists, pediatricians, radiologists, and nurses have vital roles in providing medical care. Any mistake made by any healthcare provider can have dire consequences for a patient.
Examples of health mishaps that cause injury and wrongful death:
- Not providing the required treatment for a condition
- Misdiagnosing or failing to diagnose a serious disease
- Surgical errors such as operating on the wrong body part, leaving instruments in the patient, severing a nerve, and other mistakes during surgery
- Failing to prevent, diagnose, and treat infection, pneumonia, or sepsis
- Prescribing or administering the wrong drug or other medication errors
- Birth injury caused by errors during labor and delivery
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
Medical malpractice is estimated to total $29 billion annually in lost income, disability, and healthcare costs. The Institute of Medicine’s report estimates that more than half of these events are due to preventable errors. If you suspect you or a loved one are the victim of medical malpractice, contact Smolen Law. We’ve fought to recover millions of dollars for innocent victims injured or killed due to the neglect of medical providers.